Wednesday 1 February 2017

New Things Old...

I have been having fun this week finding new things to try. I have always wanted to make a cloth doll. Not liking the actual look of most cloth dolls, I decided to try a cloth bear that looks like a traditional cloth doll.  I looked at several cloth dolls before I tried my hand at designing. My first step was to tea stain my new muslin (calico) fabric to make it look old. I love the way it turned out. It has several lighter spots with a couple of dark areas, just like it would look if it were very old. I brewed tea in a very large bowl as I had a meter of fabric that needed staining. You can see my tea bags floating away in there. I just hand wrung it and hung it out in the warm sun to dry. I didn't rinse it as I liked the color. I did rinse in warm water before I started to get the manufacturer's starch out.
While it was drying, I sat down and drew my cloth bear pattern. It didn't take long to dry, so I could cut right after I designed. I still have about 2/3 meter left, so I will make another bear dress or something of the sort. I also designed wings for this one, I will probably use the tea stained fabric to make those as well. I need to find some antique buttons for decorations. YAY! What fun!

I will keep you posted on the progress. I truly can't wait to see how it goes. I know we live and learn, I always learn from my mistakes. I haven't seen a bear like this before, so there could be several re-works in my near future. 

I have been using my bullet journal now since the middle of December, I find I get more things done and stay more organized. It has helped me to record things and have a central place where all my notes and scribbles are. It sure beats a million post it notes all over my craft room and kitchen!

Hope your day is fantastic. Enjoy the rest of your week, try to get time to do something you love. Share it with us!

It must be cuppa tea time!

Debi

No comments:

Post a Comment