Wednesday 18 January 2017

Fray Stopping Preferences

I just finished applying the fray stopping "adhesive" to the fur ball of a teddy bear I showed you the pieces for the other day.  I ran out of "Stop Fraying" and started a bottle of "Fray Stoppa".  Aside from getting the first bottle in the USA and the second in New Zealand, there are many other differences as well. I have been using the "Stop Fraying" for a long time as it was what I could find. It is white like school glue and dries much like that as well, a thin bead around the outside of my pieces. It does the job it was designed to do, no doubt, but I wasn't sure I liked the added thickness to my pieces...if I painted (because I use a small paintbrush) a bit too far inside the piece, I found it hard to push my needle through the woven backing of the fur.

"Stop Fraying" takes at least six hours to dry and dries clear. In this pic, you can see the white around the outside of a leg, also the liquid looking strip around the arm piece. The "Fray Stoppa" (bought in New Zealand) is liquid, much like water. It has a nozzle type lid. When you squeeze the bottle, depending on how far you open the twistie lid, a small amount of liquid comes out.

"Fray Stoppa" only takes five minutes to dry but dries a bit stiff, letting me know if I went all the way around since it dries clear. This results in a better finish in my opinion. It is easier to sew since it is more flexible, less intrusive, and takes much less time to dry. "Fray Stoppa" has the added benefits of using it on other things: hems, button thread strays, and a run in your stockings!

Given the option, I would much prefer the liquid "Fray Stoppa" over the white glue type fray controlling adhesives. I will continue using fray stoppa and let you know if there are any other compliments or complaints on either product.

My your hems not fray!

Debi

No comments:

Post a Comment